Re: [OM] [OT] Sun-Dog Days of Winter

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Sun-Dog Days of Winter
From: Clyde Soles <csoles@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:48:24 -0700
Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > We experienced a strange weather phenomena I had never heard or read about
 > before.  As the sun came up under a layer of nimbostratus clouds the only
 > light rays were of a brilliant orange, as sunrises often are here
 > under.  The unusual part was the resultant rainbow was lacking in most of
 > the colors, leaving a bright arc of orange with just a hint of yellow.

Strangely enough, I was paging through _The Nature of Light and Colour in
the Open Air_ by Minnaert just the other day and came across his description
of the red rainbow.  He also says that "Sometiems it is amazingly bright and
remains visible even for ten minutes after the sun has set; the lower part of
the bow is naturally screened off by that time, so that it appears to begin
at some height above the horizon."  Sounds very beautiful!

I have a couple of slides of one I saw at sunrise while a friend and I were just reaching treeline on Long's Peak, CO. It was only there for a minute or two but was quite stunning. Sorry, shot it with my Mamiya. Haven't gotten around to scanning it for my web site yet...maybe in the next couple of weeks.