[OM] I fell of the wagon -- I'm a bad man (Long reply)

Subject: [OM] I fell of the wagon -- I'm a bad man (Long reply)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:42:26 -0800
Oh thank you Tom! I mean that in many ways. First off for your
generosity in the way you deal with your "cast offs" (between yours and
my mom's generosity dreams can come true...). Secondly for being a
Zuikoholism enabler. Normally being an enabler of an addiction is bad.
In your case it is very good. Last night I am reading e-mail while
uploaded a file for a customer's print order and stumble on this post
from you. I was laughing so hard I had to call Lena over and share it
with her... Of course there was the "see honey? I'm not that bad"
message there but I have to thank you for that as well ;-)

No, where you're really being an enabler is good is that your infectious
desire to obtain all in Zuikodom has caused me to find reason to go
enjoy photography and go out and find reasons to shoot besides waiting
for the next racing event or family snapshot opportunity. Case in point.
This past Sunday I found myself at Santa Cruz's Lighthouse Field on a
walk and noticed that the waves at the local surf spot were being blown
back by the offshore winds and that the Monarch butterflys were dense in
the trees they winter over in. Two perfect opportunities to play with my
new-to-me 350/2.8 for the first time since it returned into my hands
from Gary's tests and really became "mine." I grabbed that last left
over roll of Provia F from the 'fridge and headed back out there around
3:45 hoping to catch the golden hour. I began with about half the roll
of those beautiful Monarchs. The entire frame filled with clusters of
them opening their wings. Can't wait to see. Next I did the unthinkable.
I actually did some surf photography. Unthinkable because as a long time
local sailer I have never been into surfing nor had the slighest
interest in shooting surfers, but there I was. The offshore wind had
died down some and the big sets were smaller and less frequent than in
morning but the light was right. I do not have a tripod (used my
mono-pod for all this) but found that handling the 350 on the mono-pod
was not that big of a problem and that the ergonomics were such that it
was easy to lock onto and follow foucs on the surfers as they took off
on their waves. Tried the 350 as-is and with the 2XA as well...we'll
see.

So, your falling off the wagon and your infectious zuikoholism not only
enables us to feel better about our own zuikoholism, but in my case it
also encourages me to get out and use my gear and shoot more photos.
More practice, regardless of the subject, can only make me a better
photographer which helps me in my racing work as well.

Thank you Tom, and thank you to all here. Happy Holidays all!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com