(Fwd) Re: [OM] Kodachrome and Christmas

Subject: (Fwd) Re: [OM] Kodachrome and Christmas
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:21:19 +0000
Date:          18 Dec 2000 16:14:06 -0000

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:13:32 -0500
From: "M. Sparks" <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome and Christmas

Paul wrote:

> Even though there are pitfalls in trying to scan Kodachromes . . . I
> think it'll be worthwhile.

Well, I have a method for scanning old, contrasty, dim or
otherwis sub-optimal Kodachromes: Copy with a slide copier onto color
neg., then scan the dupe.

I know this sounds silly, but for me it works pretty well.  First,
modern C-41 film can resolve *all* of the detail of the original.  (This
wasn't true the last time I used a slide copier!)  Second, most of the
problems Kodachrome originals pose in scanning are made moot:  You get all
the shadow detail, no shadow noise, no loss of highlight detail, plus the
ability to dupe just a cropped area of the original onto a full frame and
then scan at maximum resolution.

You get a color neg. scan, which gives you much more latitude and
post-scan possibilities than if scanning the original.  Usually
increasing the contrast and lowering the brightness makes the image pop
right out again.  It's not as good as a drum scan, but for the prints I
make with my Epson--8 X 10 or smaller--it works better than scanning
"problem" originals, on either the LS-30 or PhotoSmart I have access to.

Morgan Sparks