[OM]

Subject: [OM]
From: pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:29:58 -0500
In a message dated 12/17/2000 11:49:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm curious to know how and when List members got into the OM system.
OM has never been the most popular brand, so I would imagine most
OM-ers either chose the system because of some particular feature they
wanted or inherited it.

I first found my way to Olympus and the OM system as a freshman in high school.
Up until then my experience with cameras had ben limited to  Kodak 126
 instamatics and flash cubes. I was working on a project where I needed to take
some "serious" photos, so my dad pulls out of the attic an Olympus 35S
 he purchased when he was stationed in Okinawa in the late 50's. I caught the
photography bug, scrimped and saved, and ended up with a used black
OM-1MD with a silver-nose 50/1.8. By the time I graduated high school in 1981 I
had added a 200/4 and a Viv 283 flash.

This was pretty much the extent of my kit through college and after, until I
got laid off from my "real" job in 1988. I took a job working behind the
counter of a specialty photo store upstate NY, and after just a few months
there I found myself with a winder 2 (new), 50/1.4 (new), OM-2S (used),
another 50/1.8 (used), and a Viv 75-205/3.8-4.8 (used).

On to a new job in RI, and soon added a 28-48/4 (new), 35-70/4 (new),
100/2(new), OM-4, another 50/1.8, T32, T20, BG2 (all used). And I still hadn't
found this list yet...

Since the list there has been (all used) OM-1n, OM-2n, 24/2, 28/2, 300/4.5,
100-200/5, 65-200/4, another T20, a few more 50/1.8's (of course!).

Oh boy, do I really have that much stuff? I better make an appointment with my
analy... er... insurance agent.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI

P.S. I sent this from my work account instead of my AOL account. Hopefully the
HTML will disappear....