[OM] [OT] Exakta Followup

Subject: [OM] [OT] Exakta Followup
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:07:46 -0800
Thanks for the follup responses to my Ihagee Exakta post, both on and off
list. Here's a little background for those of you following this OT
thread. Models A-C are vintage 33-35. The Night Exakta appears to be
desireable, c.1936. Predating our own Zuiko 85mm, the Night came with an
80mm f/2 Biotar! These early models were 127 rollfilm cameras. The Kine
Exakta I appears to be the most desireable, c.1936, because (except for
the Russian Sport (Cnopm) camera of '35) the Kine I is considered to be
the first successful 35mm SLR, thus a technological great grandsire to
the OM, and therefore my flimsy excuse for talking about it here. Then
came the Exakta II ('49, Kelton's model), the V ('50), the VX ('51), the
VX IIA ('57, Skip's model), the VX IIB ('60, Bruce's model). An instant
return mirror added to the VX1000 ('67), followed by the VX 500 ('69). (I
wonder if the VX2000 will look like the OM2000, except with the controls
reversed, heh heh.) It appears subsequent Exaktas have little relation to
the earlier models. Except for the Kine I and the Night, the Exaktas are
definitely NOT high priced collectibles. Mine was $20 with Zeiss lens
(replete with bubbles in the glass). They're curious, clunky, crude of
construction, gothic and grotesque in a charming, tutonic way. The waist
level finders are unexpectedly bright.