[OM] TOPE architectural update

Subject: [OM] TOPE architectural update
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:19:08
Hi guys,

Yesterday I obtained some Perl routines to dynamically read the file dimensions of JPEG files. I decided to finally do something I had been wanting to do for a long while: adding this code to the TOPE scripts so I don't have to provide these dimensions myself anymore! But wait, there's more: I also wrote a new script that fully automatically generates the TOPE index pages per event; all I have to do is specify the number of the event and make sure all the files are in the right places, and that the description file has the right format (esp. the first 2 lines, containing the submitter's name).

Over here after a few hours of coding, and a few more hours debugging and testing the whole new architecture, I can say it works a charm now. Therefore I decided to migrate this new architecture to the Millennics server, and it is up and running now over there too! As far as I have tested it (which I think is pretty much a complete test) all seems to work fine.

Nonetheless, I hope that if anyone encounters any issues on Millennics, that they will let me know about this (along with a short description of what happened), as I can then check into it.

Unfortunately the weird bug in the link to the "Rules" page (i.e. the one on the main entry page) has still not been resolved... This remains in progress until I (or someone else) come up with a fix...

Finally: so far TOPE 4 is at 24 entries, a great number to start off with and hopefully it will increment still before the initial launch...

More about TOPE 4 tomorrow................

Cheers!
Olafo