Re: [OM] Aerial Photography [OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Aerial Photography [OT]
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:56:16 -0000
Spitfires, eh?

Early Mk 1 Spits had two-blade fixed pitch props (Rotols?), but they were
phased out pretty quick for three-blade, variable-pitch jobs. Some Mk 5
Spits had four blade props (and would have had clipped wings also to go with
them), and Mk 8 PRs also, I think (I used to know all this stuff...).

The five-bladers started with the Griffon engines, from the Mark 14 on,
IIRC. 14s in the far east in late 1944 had five blades. 16s all had five
blades. Later Seafires had contra-rotating five-blade props, giving ten
blades in all. Real bird-shredders.

Hawker Hurricanes are my real passion...

Donald.