Re: [OM] olympus UK

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus UK
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:45:07 GMT
>FYI, olympus UK keep nothing, repeat nothing in stock OM wise
>anymore.

I think it's been going that way for a while. For all their well-known
promotion of the OM system and other cameras with catchy ads and celeb
photographer endorsement in the early years, Olympus UK have an unenviable
record in weak product support. I contacted them about getting a copy of the
OM3Ti/OM4Ti brochure in August. It took until October to receive one,
accompanied by an apology that they were "being reprinted in Germany". They
were dated 1998 on the back. Coincidentally, in between my request and its
fulfilment the elusive Ian Aston attended the Shropshire Photo Soc. While he
pushed the Mju & digital cameras for all they were worth, he did at least
have copies of this very brochure.

Pete,

Try MXV for new 2-13 screens, they had half a dozen in stock last week
according to their website. BTW their www pages are updated more often than
they used to be. Historically (hysterically?) high UK prices for new and
secondhand Oly kit mean it sometimes makes sense to shop abroad.

A totally frivolous aside:
I located my first ever photo mag, the July 25th 1981 issue of What Camera
Weekly. Prices show the 100 f2.8 at £80 while the supposedly 'cheap' 75-150
was £125. In those days zooms were still considered inferior to primes. The
XA was £105, OM1n & 50/1.8 was £130 and the OM2n, similarly equipped, was
£199. Black was £15 extra (ouch! But they have a certain something, don't
they). Contained in this issue is an ad for a Soligor 35-70 zoom. Opposite a
photo of the lens and the text were 3 SLR bodies: Pentax ME Super ("Yes,
very nice Mrs Jones, your husband has one. Could you pass the biscuits"),
OM2n black (ooh-er, sweaty palms) and Canon AV-1 (uh?). I cite this very
advertisement as being the root of my downfall, the beginning of a long-term
illness from which I am only now recovering. Er.... , well OK, I'm coming to
terms with it ;-) I must have read this issue a thousand times in those
early days (I was 15, couldn't afford another), and it was the OM2n I kept
lusting after. I got one eventually, life's never been the same since.

Simon E.