[OM] Using the spotmeter on the OM4

Subject: [OM] Using the spotmeter on the OM4
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:05:47 -0800
>>I find the area of sensitivity of the OM-2S/3(Ti)/4(T)(i) spot to be too
>>large. If you ever used a 1 degree spot meter, you'll see that it takes
>>nearly a 200mm lens on an OM to get that small. I often revert to using
>>the spot metering area on some part of the scene that is half a mix of
>>high value tones and half a mix of low value tones. In effect, a narrow
>>angle averaging system. That's pretty effective for me and quick, too.
>>
>>Gary Reese
>>Las Vegas, NV

A speedy trick that has worked pretty well for me, when shooting slide
film, is to find two values that both look close to neutral value, but
are probably on either side of it. (It seems I can always find two that
are on either side of neutral, but never find neutral itself!). Then I
spot meter twice on the lighter of the tones and once on the darker of
the tones. "Two lights and a dark." The average usually gives me lovely
saturated colors.