Re: [OM] Slide projector advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide projector advice
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 14:12:59 +0000
At 21:17 11/22/00 , Charles Packard asked:
>Lens Type?
>Fixed length or zoom?
>>From my research zooms seem to be poorer performers.

See my comments about lens manufacturers.

>What focal length?
>I would be viewing images from about 12-18 feet away.

This distance will need something on the order of 120-150mm; longer than
the "standard" 4-inch or 90-100mm home projection lens.

>Lens Manufacturer?
>My research seems to indicate that I should stay away from Kodak lenses.
>What about Buhl, Schnieder or Rollei?

My vote goes to Schneider-Kreuznach.  One of the best things I did was
replace the Kodak 4-inch f/2.8 and Kodak 102-152mm f/3.5 zoom lenses with a
Schneider-Kreuznach 70-120mm f/2.8 Vario-Prolux MC.  As with cameras, in
projection the lens quality is exceedingly important.  The Vario-Prolux is
priced about the same as the Kodak zoom and is noticably better, both in
build quality and performance.  It is an outstanding buy for a "consumer"
projection lens.

Projector?  For 35mm I use an old Ektagraphic II boat anchor obtained for a
very good price used.  Its previous life had been in some school A-V
department.  Very similar to a consumer Carousel, it is built like a tank,
with die cast body and metal parts that are plastic in Kodak's consumer
projectors.  My advice is to look for a used Ektagraphic II or III that
hasn't been battered about too badly.

There are some fine European projectors, including the Leitz and Rollei.
However, finding trays in the U.S. is another story, and they tend to be
expensive.  Furthermore, you will be in a very tiny minority using Euro
slide trays in the U.S. (where very nearly everyone uses Kodak's Carousel
trays).  If being able to assemble and store a show, and occasionally use
someone else's projection equipment is a consideration (or someone else
using yours for their show), then go with a machine that takes Kodak's
carousels.

Actually I like the Euro style trays better and use them in a Rollei P11
Dual for medium format slides.  Its compatibility with other people's
projectors and trays in the U.S. drove me to the used Ektagraphic II for 35mm.

-- John