[OM] I fixed my camera!

Subject: [OM] I fixed my camera!
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:49:03 -0500
Well, I think so anyway. My OM-1 had a flakey PC socket that was probably
just dirty. Since it's tricky to take apart, I merely flipped it between "X"
and "FP" many times and it's working consistently now. I also fixed the self
timer lever that I had dissassembled in anticipation of recieving a new skin
for it. I realized that I could use the securing threaded member to wind up
the timer, then unscrew it, then re-install the lever and member. Works
great. To celebrate, I warmed up some Velvia, afixed my 18/2.8 Sigma and
winder 1, and dug out my flash bulbs. The whole reason I was upset about the
PC socket not working was because the "tilt-o-mite" flashbulb holder does not
have a hot shoe. The reason I wanted to use flash bulbs is because it is the
only practical way to use flash with an 18mm lens. The bulbs are so powerful
and the reflector is so wide angle (almost 180deg) that you don't loose much
light as compared to a barebulb electronic flash. Does that make sense? In
other words, I was shooting @ f11 with 50 speed film at 1/30sec handheld. The
added mass of the winder dampens any vibration from the camera, I hope
anyway. It'll be a while until I see the results of my labors.
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright