Re: [OM] Fireworks pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks pics
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:28:19 -0600
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:09:49AM -0600, Tom Scales wrote:
> They came out great.  Both areas lighted well.  Quite a feat.

Thanks!

I used my OM-4 with a 24/2.8, and Fuji Superia Reala 100. The lighting was
the same 250W halogen bulb that had been there before, supplemented with a
Nikon SB-25 with Quantum Turbo battery pack (so I didn't have to wait for
the flash to recycle). I detailed a kid to hold the flash pointed at the
carrillon and used a pushbutton switch at the end of 50 feet of wire to
trigger it.

Each shot was done by opening the shutter for between 1 and about 7 seconds
(I wasn't counting, just capturing what I thought would look like
interesting fireworks bursts), triggering the flash once while the shutter
was open. Cable release in right hand, flash switch in left; felt pretty
natural after a few frames.

You can tell how long the shutter was held open by how much light there is
on the carrillon. Two things I do next time: 1) zoom the flash head in to 70
or 85mm coverage instead of the 50 I used, and 2) use a separate tripod, or
an adult, to keep the flash pointed better. There's some motion blurring
evident on the player in some pictures because the shutter was held open
long enough to expose him from the stationary fixture. While I wanted the
effect, it can be distracting, too.

> P.S. Congrats on the car, uh truck, uh car----shoot, on the vehicle.

It's a car to me; it's built on the ES300 chassis.