RE: [OM] [Q] 50mm f1.4 vs 50mm f1.8

Subject: RE: [OM] [Q] 50mm f1.4 vs 50mm f1.8
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:04:50 -0600
Hi Francois,

>===== Original Message From François Rossi <f.rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>I've been using a 50mm f1.4 so far as it's the lens that came with my OM-2.
>Recently, I purchased a 50mm f1.8 for silly money and whilst I'm waiting for
>it to arrive by post, I thought I could ask two questions:
>
>- What main difference can I expect between the two, is one better suited
>than the other for certain tasks?

This is a maddening question because there have been significant design
changes throughout the production history of both lenses.  I suppose the short
answer is that the newer the lens, the better the performance you might be
able to expect, especially in terms of sharpness.

>- In particular, which one do you recommend for pseudo-macro work with
>extension tubes and close-up lens?

If I had to have one, I believe that I would try to find a mint, newish
50/1.4.  This is not based on relative performance with tubes, however.  As it
is, however, I have a newer 50/1.8, which is just killer for landscapes,
sometimes confusing informed viewers with MF performance.  My 50/1.4 is an
older, softer SC model, and I prefer it for snapshots and "people pictures."

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA