[OM] 35-80 barrel distortion (was "Performance of the 35/2 ?")

Subject: [OM] 35-80 barrel distortion (was "Performance of the 35/2 ?")
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:56:24 -0600
=====
>The 35-80 is apro-grade lens, producing B+ to A grades almost
>exclusively.  The same can't be said of the 35/2.  The zoom is as good or
>better wide open than the prime is at F/4, so you actually gain a stop!
>The 35-80 has no coma at F/2.8.  The 35/2 has plenty at 2 and 2.8 and
>still some left at F/4.
>
>Now for the downside: it is heavier, it costs more and it has one
>unfortunate problem, pronounced barrel distortion around 35mm. I have
>seen it in one slide and it is a problem.  The prime has some barrel
>too.  Of course, this is a problem only with obvious straight lines near
>the edge of the frame. In my case, an ocean horizon.  Perhaps I'll scan
><<<

And I think we determined that George's barrel distortion was actually the
natural curvature of the earth which is more pronounced when the horizon of
the ocean is viewed several hundred feet above sea level, as it was in the one
slide he used to illustrate said distortion.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA  <--- my "roll call" check in BTW