Re: Using autofocus, was [OM] Fw: Mike Swaim....

Subject: Re: Using autofocus, was [OM] Fw: Mike Swaim....
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:29:51 -0000
Now, while I do understand what you're saying about riders being in
different positions and taking different lines, in auto racing hitting
your apex and running in the same spot consistantly is the mark of a
good driver.

I agree. I was going to mention this, but felt it may be a digression. Top riders are inch-perfect, when circumstances allow. This doesn't happen as regularly as the photographer would like, especially if there is some jostling or an attempted overtaking manoevure.

Either way, there will be many tosses, not so many keeps, if you're
trying to pan a 400mm. (Which by the way I seldom feel the need to
do...I seldom even pan at 200mm with my 80-200/2.8.)

I can't usually get near enough to much else than use the 400, most circuits have so much run-off. Also, bikes tend to look far more interesting from some angles than others. There aren't many times I can get a decent action shot without panning, and a single bike will look like nothing from the front. A recent magazine interview with pro superbike photographer Kel Edge said he used 180 and 500mm (Canons IIRC) with 1.4x & 2x converters to fit the circumstances. He made a vague comment about using some kind of mode which _intimated_ that he used manual focus, but re-reading it I decided it must be a feature to stop the lens hunting. This reminded me of a couple of comments I've read saying that some photog's claim snottily to still use manual focus like it was some badge of honour. The switch on the lens said otherwise. I'll dig in my archive for anything relevant.

Again, I know next to nothing about bike racing. I may go check one out
next year and see for myself.

I recommend it. I can't get excited about 4-wheeled action any more after getting hooked on bike racing. A few of my photos at:
http://www.mawddwy.freeserve.co.uk/bikes.htm
http://www.v-four.freeserve.co.uk/tt.htm

Simon E.