[OM] Short Macros, etc. (was: Problem with FTL 135mm

Subject: [OM] Short Macros, etc. (was: Problem with FTL 135mm
From: "C. Hertzler" <hertzler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:28:00 +0200

> From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> However, Exakta users had a far better alternative: the Carl Zeiss
> Jena 35mm F2.8 Makro-Flektogon, which AFAIK is a true flat-field
> macro, focuses down to 4 inches, and has a fully-automatic diaphragm.
>..  I wonder how
> widespread is its use in Europe, and is it affordable there.  Maybe
> one of our European fellow Zuiks, particularly those in Germany, could
> provide some more info.

Being a German Zuik fellow, I do my best to answer this :-)

My first SLR bought in 1972 was an Exakta with a very nice
1.9/50mm Schneider Xenon, later I added an also very nice 135mm
aus Jena (East German Carl Zeiss) with 1 m close focus distance.
But I think I newer saw that 35 mm Makro-Fektogon Gary is
speaking about. In East Germany they might be more common.
My last buy, before I switched to OM in 1976, was a 600mm F 5.6
Ennalyt lens from Enna/Muenchen. Impressive F number and focal
length, but not so impressive performance.

> Also, are there any Exakta to OM mount adapters (to mount Exakta
> lenses on an OM body)?  IMHO, this should be possible
>to accomplish,

I am not aware of such an adapter. What I did with my 600mm
lens: I removed the back of the lens with the Exakta mount, bought
an OM reversing ring 49 mm and asked our university workshop to
make a simple adapter from the lens back tread to 49 mm. Now I
have a 600 tele lens which I can use on my OMs. But I rarely do it,
because I am way to busy with all of my much nicer Zuiko lenses.

Regards,

Christoph

(Christoph Hertzler
Aachen, Germany)