Re: [OM] Short Macros, etc. (was: Problem with FTL 135mm lens)

Subject: Re: [OM] Short Macros, etc. (was: Problem with FTL 135mm lens)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:12:30 -0800
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Andrew F. writes:
>
><< Welcome to the "I want an FTL" sub group >>
>
>If you groupies wished you had a 50mm f/3.5 Zuiko or a 40mm f/2, I just
>acquired an interesting cross: A Kilfitt Makro Kilar E 40mm f/2.8 in an
>unusual M42 mount, thus fitting the FTL. According to McBroom, these are
>most commonly in Exacta mount.  It appears to have multi-layer coating,
>but, alas, has a manual diaphragm. [...] That would sure fit my long
>standing wish for a wider angle macro lens.  I'm quite tempted to run
>an SQF test on it.

Hmmm, I believe that like most Kilfitt lenses, the 40/2.8 Makro Kilar
was primarily made for the Alpa SLR's, although Kilfitt was (is?) an
independent lens manufacturer, and so it's possible that some of its
lenses were made in other European lens mounts, Exakta and Praktica
(= Pentax M42) mounts being the most logical candidates.

However, Exakta users had a far better alternative: the Carl Zeiss
Jena 35mm F2.8 Makro-Flektogon, which AFAIK is a true flat-field macro,
focuses down to 4 inches, and has a fully-automatic diaphragm.  It'd
be worth to buy a (usually very inexpensive!) Exakta body for this
lens alone!  AFAIK, this is a very fine lens which, unfortunately,
is quite scarce on this side of The Pond.  I wonder how widespread
is its use in Europe, and is it affordable there.  Maybe one of our
European fellow Zuiks, particularly those in Germany, could provide
some more info.

Also, are there any Exakta to OM mount adapters (to mount Exakta
lenses on an OM body)?  IMHO, this should be possible to accomplish,
at least in theory. :-)

Also, Gary R. wrote:

>[I will run] a test on a 28-85mm f/4 RMC Tokina, which physically
>differs in size from the Canon FD 28-85mm f/4 that Gary Schloss
>speculated might be "it's cousin."

Hmmm, did I utter the above in public?  Or, are people exchanging my
"speculations" behind my (cyber)back?  Shame on you! (just kidding!)

In any case, I have both those zooms, and they indeed look remarkably
alike, though clearly not identical.  The Canon is a later model, so
it has somewhat better spec's, and uses more plastic.  Here's what
I wrote in a private message to a fellow Zuik who shares my admiration
for Tokina's many fine lenses:

GS> As to specifications for the RMC 28-85 f4, I have no old Tokina
GS> literature which covers this particular lens.  However, this lens
GS> is VERY similar to Canon's late model FD 28-85 f4.  (I wouldn't be
GS> surprised to learn this Canon zoom was made for Canon by Tokina.)
GS> In any case, the Canon FD 28-85 f4 has 13 elements in 11 groups,
GS> eight blade aperture diaphragm (Tokina has only six), and the
GS> Canon focuses closer that the Tokina: down to 0.5 m vs 0.75 m.

If anyone on this list owns, or has access to an old (early to
mid-80's) catalog of Tokina lenses, pls do fill in the blanks.  TIA.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA