[OM] Re: [OT] Slide projector advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Slide projector advice
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:14:44
I'll second Susan's advice to look for a good cheap used projector unless one's plans include frequent showings.

When the bulb on our old Kodak Carousel 800 died I found another working projector sooner than I could find a replacement bulb. Got a great Minolta AFT/2 with a 100mm f/2.8 Rokkor lens for $5 at one of my favorite thrift stores. Uses the inexpensive and fairly commonly available Yankee-type slide drawers. The auto-focus is just O-K, but the single slide loading carrier is terrific. The whole package is far more intelligently designed and carryable than anything from Kodak. Various sliding and hinged doors enclose everything for toting - lens, controls, a l-o-n-g spring-loaded power cord. *This* should have been the standard for consumer projectors, not Kodak's carousel models. If it weren't for the Min-not-an-Olympus-olta name, I'd think Olympus had designed it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to dig up a single nugget of information about this projector so I suspect that when something goes wrong that will be the end of it. But I've already gotten five bucks worth out of it.

Kodak projectors are common as dirt in pawn shops. Just try to find out ahead of time which models use the exorbitantly priced bulbs, some of which cost more than buying a new low-end projector.

Lex Jenkins
"Don't worry about everything 'cause nothing's gonna be alright."
- Casey Lechmanski