Re: [OM] Pics from my 75/150 Zuiko zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Pics from my 75/150 Zuiko zoom
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:05:50 +0800

John Hudson wrote:

> To everyone who responded to my earlier enquiry about the focusing of my
> 75/150 zoom, thank you.
>
> Herewith a couple of uncropped tripod shots I took with my recently
> acquired used 75/150 on my OM4T last Sunday afternoon at 5pm here in
> Vancouver. The film used was Kodak Portra 400NC and the images are
> scanned right off the negatives.
>
> http://jahudson.tripod.com/TEMP/33-400NC.jpg
>
> http://jahudson.tripod.com/TEMP/34-400NC.jpg
>
> I have yet to discover the reason for the flaring seen in one of the two
> images. If anyone has any opinions about this please let me know on or
> off list. As far as extent to which the lens captured extremely final
> detail is concerned I have concluded that my Leica M lenses would have
> done no better.

The flare on the second image may be unavoidable, I have similar
problem with my 35-70/3.6 although it is MC version. The 75-150 is a
SC lens with 15 elements, hard to eliminate the flare and ghost image
in such situation where strong light sources are included in the
picture.

> Based on these two images I intend to have the 75/150 fully CLA'ed and
> returned to as near pristine new condition as possible. To anyone who
> might be contemplating the acquisition of a 75/150 zoom these two images
> should be a clear indication of the kind of resolution which can be
> expected from this lens.

Although with these two small pictures others cannot see how good it
was, but I would say if you can find this lens with very clear
glasses, you should get it. The price of this lens is usually cheap
(~100-120 for a 9+ in ebay) but the performance is really nice.

I had an old 75-150 with scratched glass inside, which also had a bad
filter on it, the picture was never came out right so I had not used
it for years. Last year I had a look on it and found the old Olympus
1A filter was very yellowish in color, it even had 0.3 stop light
loss. I removed the filter and took the lens out for some shots, the
slides came out with great color and the resolution was also fine. I
immediately go out to search all local used camera shops and got a
like new one. If you like the traditional color of Zuiko, this is
the right one.

C.H.Ling