RE :[OM] MODIFIED NORMAL SCREEN TO BRIGHT SCREEN

Subject: RE :[OM] MODIFIED NORMAL SCREEN TO BRIGHT SCREEN
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:21:08 -0700
At 08:48 PM 11/24/2000 +0000, Giles Stewart wrote:

>No chance.
>
>while a 2-series screen might look like it just has a matt surface it
>isn't.  I belive it is a very finely machined fresnel lens or some such
>that increase the apparent brightness.
>
>Giles
>
>Jim wrote:
>
>> Just wondering possible to modify the normal screen like the 1-13 to a
>> bright screen simply by grinding the screen surface to a smoother one?

Giles is correct (when *isn't* he?  ;-) ).  Increase in brightness of the
2-series screens (and their competitors, the Beattie Intenscreens) comes about
by building a very fine fresnel lens into the screen.  The 2-series is better
done than the Beatties, but I own 'em both and like 'em both.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/, or
   http://www.enable.org/~gallery/