Re: [OM] A load of crap! (was WOW!!! OM system vs E-series)

Subject: Re: [OM] A load of crap! (was WOW!!! OM system vs E-series)
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:58:00 -0500
OK, Here I go.... This is not directed at Dave, but at Olympus.

Here is the response from the Olympus tech off the same list.

>RE: OM system vs E-series
>John Knaur (OAI) - 21 Nov - 08:52:10 PM

>Actually the E-10 lens has to be 3-4 times sharper than the OM Lens just to be the same. A 35mm lens has to resolve to the equivalent of 10 microns for film, the E-10 lens has to resolve to less than 4 microns. The C-2500L is not the E-10, which has an Olympus lens (same group as the Zuiko came from) and a totally differen design philosophy. The metering is very good (not multispot but is is OTF(CCD) and also has a multi-pattern meter and center-weighted meter. Check out some of the images at camediagallery.com

MY COMMENTS (while standing on my soap box):

He is full of S**T if he thinks any consumer lens is 3-4x sharper than the 35-80/2.8, certainly one of the best medium-range zooms ever made for 35mm. I'm no optical engineer, but the resolution of a lens isn't theoretically dependent on it's targeted format, but on its design. Certainly a larger format presents more problems than a smaller one. But the size of the targets for 35mm and a 4mgPixel CCD aren't that much different. Also "sharpness" isn't the only measure of a lens' performance. I see that he mentions 4 vs 10 microns; where the H**L does he assume that 10 microns is "good enough" for 35mm? Lenses have been and are developed as good as is economically feasible for the time. Look at Leica, certainly at the top of the heap these days in 35mm lens, but at WHAT A PRICE! And the Leica lenses are NOT 3-4 times sharper than ANY Zuiko.

Whew....OK now I've thrown down the gauntlet. Will someone with more technical knowledge pick it up and show me where I'm wrong? This sounds like the same type of LAME argument we got from Olympus last year when they said the Camedia lenses were better than the OM-system lenses for CCD's because the delivered light rays "more parallel". And that's why the OM-system lenses would NEVER WORK for digital. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! Tell Canon, Fuji, Contax, and Nikon THAT. I guess that those manufacturers are all full of it because they offer digital bodies that can use supposedly inferior 35mm lenses?

Skip