[OM] Re: 350mm and a 2X teleconverter = 700mm f5.6

Subject: [OM] Re: 350mm and a 2X teleconverter = 700mm f5.6
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:49:59 -0600
Is bigger always better? It depends what it is....

I had to think really hard when I used my 350mm with a 2X teleconverter. I
recall shooting a concert one time. ( some venues can be sort of jerky on
where they want you to shoot from.) but anyway, they put the photographers
at least 50 yards away from the stage, if not more. (luckily that day, I had
the 2X teleconverter) I rarely even carrying it, because I really do not use
it that often.

A 700mm becomes pretty difficult to shoot because of the magnification,
camera shake and shutter vibration is crucial, you must use a tripod. On my
night, I only had my monopod and I knew I was on shaky ground, because of
the slow shutter speed used during a dark indoor concert. Possible solution,
brace your body on anything you can and hold your breath, literally, if
lucky you can get a few usable frames. Luckily for me, I got a few frames.

Other than that, the only other reason to shoot that long is shooting at the
back of the endzone during a football game, wildlife or perhaps
astro-photography. (maybe a neighbors window on a high rise condo? I'm
kidding)

But the point is, when your shooting that long your limited to what you can
do, just as you can be limited with a 50mm lens under the right or wrong
conditions.

Remember bigger is not always better........ and yes,  you will lose a
little sharpness because the converter is not apochromatically  matched to
be used with the 350mm.

One of these days, I'll try to shoot a game with one and post the
results.....

Sam....