Re: [OM] 1.4X Teleconverters

Subject: Re: [OM] 1.4X Teleconverters
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:52:50 -0800

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Warren Kato <WKato@xxxxxxx> replies:

>I have a Kiron 1.5X which was supposed to be a matched multiplier for the
>75-150 of theirs. It only works in this range though, from 85 to 135. It
>vignettes slightly on the 200/4 and 200/5 and is not useable for the 300/4.5.
>Physically it doesn't fit on the 50/1.8. Soligor also made a 1.5X but I
>haven't tried it. I don't know of any other 1.4 or 1.5X converter.[...]

Hmmm, I have a Kiron 1.5X TC -- admittedly, in Pentax K mount, and it
seems to clear physically both the Pentax 50/1.7 and 50/1.4 lenses...

Anyways, for all TC's of any make or stripe, if you attempt to mount
lenses and/or zooms with protruding rear elements, I recommend to use a
"defensive mounting" technique: (a) focus the lens out to its minimum
distance; (b) mount the lens on the TC; then (c) slowly and veeerrrry
carefully focus the lens back towards infinity.  If at any point you
encounter resistance, i.e. if the lens won't retract all the way to
infinity, then it should not be used with this particular TC.

... and also from Warren:

>I have a [presumably Olympus?] 1.4X and was unable to physically mount it
>on a Sigma 400/5.6, Tokina 300/5.6, Vivitar 200/3, etc. because of throat
>diameter problems. Tamron adaptall and T mount lenses are not a problem.

Hmmm, assuming that Warren indeed referred to the Olympus 1.4X-A, I can
attest to its physical incompatibility with Sigma lenses (the 1.4X-A
throat is too wide).  It also won't work with the above Vivitar Series 1
lens, or with the big Soligor "guns" -- the C/D 200/2.8 and 300/4.5.

However, I've never had any problems using the 1.4X-A with either Tamron
or Tokina lenses.  I tried it with the RMC Tokina 400/5.6, AT-X 80-200/2.8
and AT-X 100-300/4 zooms, as well as with quite a few Tamron Adaptall-2's.

Another 1.4X option that no one has mentioned thus far is the Vivitar
1.5X TC.  It's very slim, has no protruding front elements, and will
work fine with normal and even some wide-angle lenses.  The optical
quality is quite good.

In case anyone's interested in seeing this 1.5X TC and reading a more
detailed description, I recently sold such a unit on eBay (in Canon FD
mount) -- pls see the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=475002645

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.