Re: [OM] Leathers for OM's

Subject: Re: [OM] Leathers for OM's
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:06:30 -0500
Cc: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >The cameras look great with the new body covers.  However, I have to
> >admit to being a bit of a nature hugger and hate the idea of
> >beautiful wild animals killed for their skins.

Winsor sent me a copy of his post.  It's a fair point.  It's also
off-topic, so I'll address it in more detail on my "leathers" page, and
just once here.

In brief, the animals are harvested in Asia primarily for food, just as
they have for centuries.  And, as my leathercrafter has pointed out, the
locals have shepherded this resource with considerably more care than,
say, the American fishing fleet has with domestic fish stocks.

>Are there
>alternatives such as well done synthetic facsimiles such as the
>ostrich used by Leica or domesticated leathers.

There sure are....there's even a domesticated Ostrich skin available.
And there are some nice synthetics.  You can argue the point about what
type of cover is more earth-friendly; one made from animal skin or one
made from petrochemicals (like the Leica covers).  But I can't refute
Winsor's personal point of view, which is a valid one.  I will say that
I can now make an OM cover out of practically *anything*-- which I'll do
for any list member who wants to send it my way.

Morgan Sparks