[OM] Mud Bogs and Car Club Shooting

Subject: [OM] Mud Bogs and Car Club Shooting
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:32:36 -0800
Anxiously awaiting seeing the 15 rolls of Provia F later this
afternoon... My first try at the motorsports equivelent of Wedding
photography, well sorta. I created the opportunity to shoot the Audi
Quattro Club USA's "driver's school" at Sears Point yesterday. The place
is undergoing a $35m upgrade so there are a fleet of monster earth
movers running around changing the hillside landscape in a big way.
(Here's the track's URL http://searspoint.com/ where you'll find a link
to a CAT web-cam of the work going on and sometimes these monsters in
action...8 HUGE earth movers.) Add to that the mud they churn up being
tidal land and the fact it rained there Monday and you can see why I say
mud bog. 130 entrants (some sharing the same cars in different sessions)
and a (foolish perhaps) committment/goal on my part to get "at least one
good shot of everyone." I'll see tonight at the light box just how well
I fared. ~5 hours of slogging through the mud and shooting carefully but
quickly (15 rolls is what I normally shoot for a full race weekend). The
club passed out a promotional packet at the banquet the night before
containing a business card, price sheet, and a complimentry 5x7. All
well received so far and according to my contact within the club
photographers who have done this in the past have made out quite
well...(of course I have seen the work they have gotten and set my
quality standards higher too...talk about setting myself up for
failure).

The good news is all seems to have worked well. The second time out with
the Zuiko 350/2.8 was yet again a dream come true (thank you Tom!!!).
The angle of light in the prime shooting locations was exceptional and I
could see driver's expressions on their faces in the viewfinder. A great
day to spend enjoying my OMs, that splendid lens, as well as my new
favorite non-OM workhorse, the Tamron 80-200/2.8 LD. Traveled around
"the bogs" pretty light...2 (OM-2S) bodies, one winder, the two above
mentioned lenses, a Tamron 1.4X I never needed/used, a sweatshirt (it
was cold), couple towells, and a ton-o-film. Everything felt right and I
can only hope this is even more profitable than my last time out at the
ALMS event last month (which has already sold enough to pay for all my
film, processing, and the 80-200/2.8 in print sales alone).

The web-galleries from the Laguna Seca ALMS are all finally up on my
website for those curious. Links are:
http://motorsportvisions.com/lsalms2k/index.htm
http://motorsportvisions.com/lsalms2k2/index.htm
http://motorsportvisions.com/ls00wc_ta/index.htm

I got ambitious and tried panning a few (on the monopod of course) with
the 350/2.8. Those images are:
http://motorsportvisions.com/ls00wc_ta/pages/ls00_62.htm
http://motorsportvisions.com/ls00wc_ta/pages/ls00_63.htm
http://motorsportvisions.com/ls00wc_ta/pages/ls00_64.htm
http://motorsportvisions.com/ls00wc_ta/pages/ls00_65.htm
Obviously I should try this more as the results were surprisingly good
and that lens truly is stunning for racing photography.

Enough about taking pictures cars from me for now...back to our
regularly scheduled programming. Oh, one last thing...as soon as I am
done getting this mess of slides scanned for the club so I can make some
$$$$ I will get back to editing and scanning the work from Monterey
Historics 2000 where I think I have more of the Olympus sponsered F1
car...I will post all I have as the offer to make the image available to
list members still stands and I have not forgotten...just swamped.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com