RE: [OM] NiCd vs. NiMH; cookies

Subject: RE: [OM] NiCd vs. NiMH; cookies
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:13:49 -0700
At 12:09 PM 11/12/2000 -0600, Chip Stratton wrote:
>NiCads have been  said to lose about 10f  their existing charge per day,
>so you can figure if they've been sitting around for two months after a full
>charge, they are probably down near half their potential capacity. NiMH is
>supposed to have a slightly  higher self-discharge rate.
>
>There are now available NiMH AA cells that advertise a solid 1600 mAh
>capacity - the technology seems to be improving incrementally  at a fairly
>steady  rate.

Yeah, Fujifilm and Sanyo are typical examples.  I have six AA NiMH's (two Fujis
and four Sanyos) which I use in a digital camera (*not* an Olympus, but for a
very specific reason).  Using ordinary alkaline or even Nicads are a very short
term solution for this camera -- they have the capacity, but not the ability to
sustain the high drain rate required by the device.

Garth