[OM] lens "contrast"; keystoning; SCSI card

Subject: [OM] lens "contrast"; keystoning; SCSI card
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:00:49 -0500
William said:
<snip scanning stuff>

The default interrupts for a SCSI card are 10 and 11. Check to be sure
at least
one is not in use, and that the card is set to that interrupt.

If you install a "famous name brand" SCSI card (such as Adaptec),
Windows 95 or
98 should recognize it at start-up and install the correct driver. If it
doesn't, it's probably because the Acer isn't recognized.

I strongly recommend tossing the Acer in the trash and buying a cheap
Adaptec.
I did this several years ago (because HP refused to provide drivers for
their
old card that would run under Windows 95), and I had no problems.

------------------------------

There is no need to trash the Acer (mfg. by Acard) SCSI card.  It's a
perfectly fine SCSI card and does its job as well as the Adaptec.  Also,
if the plug 'n play is plugging and playing properly with the PCI bus
there should be no need to worry about the IRQ levels.  A properly
working PCI bus and plug 'n play software should resolve these problems
automagically and share an IRQ if necessary.  One of the major benefits
of the PCI bus it that, like the IBM Micro Channel that preceded it, it
is fully capable of sharing IRQ lines between devices.

My own Scanwit with Acard SCSI card is happily sitting on IRQ 9 while
the network adapter and video card are sharing IRQ 11.

However, it took a long time to get to this point.  Specifically, the
VIA chipset drivers that manage the IRQ routing table were a bit wacko
and had to be upgraded from VIA's website before everything would
properly plug 'n play.  The machine ran very happily for 1-1/2 years
without this problem ever showing until it came time to install the SCSI
card.  That forced the routing table problem to the surface.  Before
this problem was fixed neither the Acard nor an Adaptec SCSI card could
be fully recognized by Windows.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA