[OM] Of 'Nillas and Yanks, Olympus and Utes (used to be "Did Elian...")

Subject: [OM] Of 'Nillas and Yanks, Olympus and Utes (used to be "Did Elian...")
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:36:38 -0600
Truly - it is _not_ one world - though Campbells and Nabisco are hoping
to make it so.  It makes product distribution so much easier when you
can ship the same nutritionally worthless commodities world-wide.

In my own travels, I find it at once both disappointing and comforting
to discover the same products sold in convenience stores (elsewhere
throughout the world known as "dens of theives") from LA to Long Island
(from one side of the US to the other).  Used to, one could find unique
brands and local flavors throughout the land - now you've got to work
hard to escape the homogenization.  BTW, I'm sure if you looked, you
could find 'Nilla Wafers almost anywhere in the world - a product which,
by the way, used to be called "VANilla Wafers", until some lawyer sued
Nabisco 'cause they weren't using _real_ vanilla in the recipe anymore,
because some other lawyer sued because it made someone sick, or might
have.

Of course, we Yanks are always getting bludgeoned for our intolerance -
but while we might gag and "e-e-e-e-u-w-w-w!" at the idea of drinking
milk fermented in someone else's saliva, or eating grubs and beetles,
horses or dogs (I hear the red ones are best...), we certainly wouldn't
stop someone else from doing so - and shoot, once I got the hang of it,
I found that I really liked eating good raw fish!

All that having been said, isn't it great that everyone can agree that
Olympus makes the finest cameras in the world, right?  I mean _nobody_,
but _nobody_, could dispute that, right? ;^)  But then again, maybe
that's just the Japanese industrial complex trying to homogenize the
world, themselves - oh-ho-ho, how sneaky!  Maybe their plan is to
saturate the world with Olympus cameras...do you think?

Oh, and here I thought that Utes were a native American tribe - pardon
me, an "indigenous people of North America" - originally located in the
region now referred to as the American Southwest....