[OM] Drilled Mount on Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Drilled Mount on Zuiko
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 18:38:02 -0800

>> > I need a little help solving a mystery.  I sold my 35mm f2.8 SC Zuiko and
>> > replaced it with a MC version off eBAY.  Compulsive?  Anyway, the lens
>> > arrived today.  It was in good shape EXCEPT a former owner had drilled a
>> > tiny hole in the back of the mount right behind the depth of field preview
>> > button, inserted a tiny screw, held the button down and tightened it so
>that
>> > the button was permanently depressed and the iris would open up and close
>> > down as you turned the aperture ring - in essence making it a preset lens.
>> > Why in the world would anyone do that?

Wow -- I had exactly the same experience with a 35mm f/2 (not 2.8) I
purchased from a european eBay seller. The lens was adv'd as MINT (of
course) and then it shows up with this extra hole and some file marks on
the mount as a bonus. Best I could figure, somebody wanted to reverse
mount the lens and not have to hold the diaphram closed while shooting
macro. I sent the lens back (I really don't consider home-drilled and
filed modifications to included in the description "mint"), but the
seller didn't see it that way. Took weeks to resolve. Fortunately the
seller made good (eventually). The experience made me want to purchase
only from folks in "pounding range" if it came to that.