RE: [OM] OM-40 Light leak was: Light leak?

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-40 Light leak was: Light leak?
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 20:15:05 -0500
Mike Blaney said "I've got an OM-40(PC) with a light leak.  Dan Lau
responded:

Over the years of this Olympus mailing list, there has been
several discussions of light leak with the OM-40/PC (and it
is always the OM-40/PC, none of the other models have ever
been mentioned as having a light leak problem).

I had this problem with my camera about 3 or 4 years ago.
Then maybe year and a half ago, someone in Europe also
brought up the light leak problem with his OM-40 (I can't
remember the list member's name off the top of my head right
now).  But each time, there was never a definitive conclusion
to the cause and cure for the problem.  The European was
going to try some experiments with taping up all the seams
and exposing them one at a time to try and identify where the
light was coming through, but he never finished the
experiment as far as I know.

Well Dan, I'm not European but you and I did have a fair amount of
correspondence on OM-40 light leaks about a year ago.  I was in the
middle of a series of experiments to determine the cause.  I had been
taping up various suspect areas and then leaving the camera out on the
back deck in full sunlight sitting on top of a mirror for hours between
exposures.  Wouldn't ya know it... it rained for days before I finished
the series.  By the time I finally got back to it weeks later I had lost
all my notes on what was taped and exposed when.  Never did finish it.
Probably best just to replace all the foam including the film cannister
window.

To John H.  Are these countoured pieces of foam for the film windows
available from Oly?

Cheers all,
Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA