Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1953

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1953
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 22:21:31 -0500

Dirk commented:

But what about the prints from negatives? What is thier latitude? Also, what
is the latitude of scanners? Pretty low I think...

I think you are probably right on both accounts.

The advantage of slides, at least for the older, traditional processes, were
that one less reproduction step was required, which in the analog world is a
big deal. Also, if you are viewing slides directly via projection, then you
can't get any closer to the "real thing" since there are no further
reproduction steps required. Every step in the analog imaging world
introduces degradation of the image, so quality is higher the less steps you
have.

And another advantage is the ease of viewing a slide's quality vs that of a negative. It would be much easier to edit the 50,000 rolls of slides brought back from a shoot. And anyone, even those untrained in viewing a negative could judge.

Gregg
Who can judge the quality of a b&w negative but not a color one