[OM] Olympus Digital vs. Nikon Digital: Warning

Subject: [OM] Olympus Digital vs. Nikon Digital: Warning
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 12:36:27 -0800
>We're looking at get yet another digital camera for the school (we have a
>340, 460 and C-2500L already). The prime contender this time appears to
>be the C-3030 (vs the Nikon 990 I think). Any comments on this model?

I didn't stick with Olympus when it came to digital, and I may be paying
for it now. I DO have a comment on the 990s brother, the 950--but the two
are similar in many ways. I own the Nikon 950, and find it frustrating to
use. (However, when it works, it works very well.) There are several
oddities you should be aware of, if considering the Nikon, including:
there is NO manual over-ride. If you think exposure compensation will get
you out of this mess, think again: exposure compensation apples >>>to the
preview image but not the final image<<<!! I've contacted Nikon support
about this, got kicked to the highest levels of support, and heard them
meekly admit, "yes, we've had others comment on this too. We'll get back
to you on this." And then, of course, they never did. So, my experience
with the 950 is that you spend an inordinate amount of time trying to
fool the meter in a variety of creative ways. Maybe I shoulda stuck with
Olympus, but I have no experience with Oly digital.