Bonnington and McCullin was Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras

Subject: Bonnington and McCullin was Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:38:13 GMT
I know this is tangential to this thread, but at least it's on topic.

I was digging through some old saved articles. One was about Chris Bonnington, who switched to OMs in the '70s. Another was about Don McCullin. He used just a 28 and 135mm for most (possibly all) of his famous war photography. He said that the more equipment you have the more choices you have to make, which isn't necessarily a good thing. There was a small photo of him on the set of a film for which he did the stills in the 1980s. He had two OMs around his neck, and it looked like he was still using just the 28 and 135 Zuikos. If I have time I will post snippets from these two over the weekend.

If it stops raining will be going out with just one or two lenses (the weather & floods where I live have been the worst for over 50 years). I've been using black & white more and more recently - my choice for handheld work is HP5+ in ID-11 or DDX developer. Much as I love colour photography, it is so satisfying to develop one's own negatives. I've been using a Stylus Epic a lot, snapping things I like, and the relative lack of adjustments or choice of focal lengths helps concentrate the mind. There is still something very special about monochrome photography.

Simon E.