Re: [OM] Re: flourescent lights, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: flourescent lights, etc.
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:50:45 -0500
In our school, two sets of two tubes each are in a light fixture. Occasionally one phase of the electricity will go out and darken half of the lights in the fixture. It is possible to detect (it's not really clear enough to call it "see" but it is noticable) the 60hz flicker when that happens.

Gregg

Mark wrote:

Also, I believe that most fluorescent light fixtures operate such that one
bulb is on during the positive half of the voltage cycle, and the other
bulb
is on during the negative half.  So each bulb flickers at 60 Hz, but the
total
flickers at 120 Hz, which is fast enough to not be too obvious in most
circumstances (except Dirk's monitor example!).  This of course explains
why
some of your pictures show the lights half on.

Mark Marr-Lyon