[OM] Gloriously OT

Subject: [OM] Gloriously OT
From: "David Jenkinson" <jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 22:54:30 -0000
Andrew bravely says somewhere in the ether:
>This is fighting talk, no? We all know that the most challenging Scots
environment is central Glasgow on a Saturday night when the pubs empty.
All Aus list members will now go and die in the desert to prove a point.
(Unlike Dombrovskis, who died in the Tasmanian wilderness, next to his
beloved Linhof - take that one hiking before complaining!)
Pubs here don't close anymore, so they never empty.  When it's time to go
home a wee bloke in a dinner jacket pats you on the head and the next thing
you know you are in a taxi talking about your Mum.  Then your wife can't
remember how to tell the time.  ("What bloody time do you call this?")  Then
your three year old asks you if your posh jacket makes you ill.  "Every time
you wear it you're sick..." he explains.  Nothing challenging in *that*,
surely.  In fact the scariest thing that has ever happened to me after a
night out in Glasgow was when the security light bulb at my front door blew
up instead of more traditionally just coming on.  You try maintaining your
cool when that happens after inhaling Guinness all night.....

Paul Reynolds (namby pamby sassenach) rashly suggests:
>I'm up for this one (seriously).

If we get a winter, Paul, anything you do in Scotland in February *is*
mountaineering!  A couple of years ago in Glencoe I was completely lifted
off my feet by the wind, and would've flown down a 600' gully had I not had
my ice axes in some good ice.  I'm 6'4" and weighed (then) 200lbs.  An
instructor pal of mine in the glen watched horrified last winter as a great
fizzing ball lightning bounced down a ridge towards his terrified charges.
(<= so to speak!).
The Cairngorms in a winter storm is an experience which even if you been
there, well, it's hard to trust your memories.  I've seen the trails left on
wind
scoured snow of 4' high boulders....blown along by the wind the night
before.  My pals and I retreated once from a climb with bleeding faces,
caused by
the wind blown particles of snow.
No use for namby pamby electronic shutters there, me hearties.  You need a
camera built like a tank, with a mechanical shutter and the best metering
system in the world....the Olympus OM-3!!!  (Just to get back on topic....)
If you're still keen, we should carry on this discussion off list.....email
me on dasasheu@xxxxxxxxxxx cos freeserve is mince.
Cheers
Dave