Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part 1, The Primal Scream

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns, Part 1, The Primal Scream
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:14:21 GMT
According to some pros who frequent CompuServe and do nothing but weddings and family portraits, *their* mid-priced wedding packages go for around a thou - $1,000. Everything shot on MF, and with one of the traditional leather albums.

At the other extreme, I know of a retired pro who offers to shoot for select clients (translation: people he likes) in an unusual way. He charges nothing other than the cost of film, shoots only 35mm with a Leica RF, gives the film to the clients for them to process, and *requires* that he be invited to the reception as a regular guest and seated with the other guests. He believes this enables him to mingle easily, get terrific candids, and since he enjoys weddings merely being there is reward enough.

After shooting a few things "on spec" the past couple of years, I now understand why full-time pros don't do that. In one instance - photographing jewelry - the prospective client was indifferent to all my efforts, which were quite good if I may flog my own trumpet. I finally realized she'd simply changed her mind about spending the money and didn't want to say so.
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock