[OM] A message about the list

Subject: [OM] A message about the list
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:52:09 -0700
You may have noticed that I've been mostly absent from the list recently (my
unread list mail is > 10,000 msgs... ;-) I read a few posts every now and
then, but have been too busy to do much else.

Giles brought the current situation re:e-groups to my attention yesterday, so
I decided to look in and see what this is all about. After reading most of the
posts, I'm still not quite clear how this all came about. Both Giles and myself
have stated many times the list etiquette regarding FS postings, so I won't
go into this again, as Giles most recent post on this topic is clear and
concise.

Obviously the response to the new e-group list indicates either a need/want
for a separate list, or simply a dissatisfaction with the current list, either
in
general, or specifically with respect to FS postings. From reading the recent
posts, it seems there are some in both camps on this one.

I don't really care if many of you wish to have a separate list for FS posts,
although I personally think it will result in unnecessary duplication. However,
I do care about dissatisfaction with the current list, and from what I can
ascertain, this stems from a lack of timely message distribution. I would be
interested to hear (OFF LIST) what kind of times most people are seeing. I
see an average of about 20 minutes, but I don't post very often.

Because majordomo/sendmail handle single process delivery, distribution is
held up by each and every slow mail server on the list, of which there are
quite a few. There are several solutions to this, but I have limited time in
which to implement them.

I will watch how developments with e-groups progress before deciding if I
should devote some time to improving the list. If splitting off causes the
Olympus List to no longer serve a useful function, then I see no point in
continuing with it.

Shawn Wright
Olympus List host/operator