Re: [OM] [FS] Put me on your "For Sale" mailing list

From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 07:48:26 -0600
Dear List members:

On 27 Oct 2000, at 9:26, Hilary Stone wrote:

> I echo these sentiments exactly. To set up another list will fragment the
> Olympus OM community. The OM community feel you get from this list is
> pretty special. The arguments over one ad should not be allowed to damage
> this...

I'm sorry, but I don't see how setting-up OM-Traders "damages" the list.
There's hundreds...  no thousands...  (millions???) of mailing lists out
there, and having one more is neither here nor there.

As far as I know, it's *not* an "either/or" thing.  People, if they wish, can
*still* post their FS ads here *and* on OM-Traders (or not) if they wish.
And, those who don't wish to place their ads here anymore (myself
included) now have another vehicle for getting the word out.

Frankly, I think *far* more damage has been done by numerous
messages in which people have been ridiculed (sp?) or told they should
"bugger off" than by any FS messages or any of the messages where
the issue was discussed calmly and rationally.

Personally, I wasn't offended by the original ad (his right), the original
message questioning the original ad (his right too), nor by the
messages that calmly/rationally disagreed with that point of view (their
right).  But it *does* upset me when some (unnamed) people rant and
rave, and turn every minor disagreement into a holy war.

(Note:  Like I said before, if the shoe fits you're wearing it, but I'm *not*
pointing at anyone specifically)

THAT is what damages this list!  NOT for sale ads, NOT off-topic
messages, NOT the occassional disagreement!  And, sadly, that's what
could ultimately destroy this list.

Just my humble and *personal* opinion.  Feel free to disagree, but aim
your flames elsewhere.

Regards,

Chris

---