Re: [OM] 35mm vs. medium format heresies

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm vs. medium format heresies
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:28:54 -0400
At 10:14 AM 10/24/2000 +0000, Lex wrote:
>...Now, in the digital world vs. silver halide, it might. Ctein and
>others versed in both areas have noted that film scanners tend to pick
>up grain that is somehow "blended" (my summation, not their term) and
>invisible - to a point - in traditional prints. ...

Not sure I understand what you are saying, could you say more?

I know my own experience with scanning Provia F versus 400 print film
(LS-2000 scanner) that the grain in the 400 print film gets accentuated
by the scanning process much more than the Provia, and the grain seems
to "blend" better with normal film processing. I think this is partly
related to the small sampling aperture of the scanner, possibly causing
aliasing effects. (aliasing is where higher frequency sampled data
"aliases" down to a lower frequency. In this case, frequency is the
spatial frequency.) With the LS-2000, using the CleanImage feature with
multi-sampling can sometimes help; I think it filters the data, sort of
like an anti-alias filter. Also this may be one of the reasons for the
recommendation that you sample at the highest and then down sample
later in photoshop.

Wayne