Re: [OM] General Purpose Zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] General Purpose Zoom
From: "Alan Barrow" <pinzgauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:32:15 -0400
Ed wrote:

> I'm looking for a 28-200MM zoom (or longer). Has to be in near perfect
> condition and fast (3.5-5.6 or better). I know that Zuiko never made a
lens
> like this (darn), so naturally I am looking for an after market lens.

You could do well with a Tokina AT-X 35-200mm. Has a close focus mode, works
well. I have not done serious tests, but subjectively appears to be quite
good. One interesting point.... KEH currently considers this lens more
"desirable" than the Zuiko 65-200.... IE: will pay more for it, and charges
more. This is typically not the case for non Zuiko zooms. Of course, this
has nothing to do with quality, but more of market demand. :-)

I really prefer Zuiko lenses, and will probably never own a generic prime.
For zooms however, the AT-X 35-200 3.5-4.5 and the AT-X 80-200 2.8 are both
likely candidates.

After playing with a 50-250 Zuiko in London, I elected to keep my 35-200.
Probably should have bought it to sell here, as they appear to be pretty
scarce. Did not get a chance to shoot with it, so it may be a truly great
lens.

I would love to find someone who has both the 65-200 Zuk and the 35-200 AT-X
who can give a comparison.

Thanks,

Alan