[OM] 1160 and MIS arc inks (was "1160 & Archiva")

Subject: [OM] 1160 and MIS arc inks (was "1160 & Archiva")
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:38:45 -0500
>===== Original Message in part From rafeb <rafeb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>Anyway, my point was not to bash the Ilford inks, but to
>note a certain measure of success with MIS archival inks,
>which don't seem to be discussed very much on this list.
>

>rafe b.

With ProfilerRGB I've been able to get very acceptable prints using MIS
archival inks with almost all the papers I tried, including a good assortment
of Red River papers (the worst of which was the Polar Gloss, however).  The
best results were with the Ilford HW Glossy and Semi-Matte and Kodak Premium
Picture Paper.

The problem as you mentioned in a previous note is that the ink rubs off and
the surfaces are easily marred, especially with the Ilford papers, which have
a rough backing.  The Ilford prints can be ruined just by stacking them one on
top of the other.

A surface spray (like Krylon 1303) seems to harden up the surfaces and make
them handle-able, however.

I'm not crazy about spraying my prints, so Epson Photo Paper has been my
mainstay with MIS arc inks.  This paper holds the ink well and the prints can
be handled OK (with reasonable care).  They should probably be sprayed too,
but I don't do this myself.

The one paper I just can't get a good result on with MIS arc inks is Epson HW
matte.  The result with ProfilerRGB looks too thin and unphotographic for my
taste, even after substantial tinkering with the Profiler sliders.

FWIW Bob Meyer torture tested a sampling of papers with MIS arc inks including
Ilford, EPP, and several RR papers and noted no shifting or fading (but he did
note the smearing of the ink because I did not send him sprayed prints).

I think the combination of MIS arc inks, Ilford Papers, and spray is excellent
*if* you do a good job with the spray and don't plan to have any children
(very obnoxious around lungs).  I'm looking for something a little more
ready-to-go right out of the chute and will move on to the XG inks.  If the
result is not substantially better, I may be back.  MIS and Ilford paper is
very, very good.

Joel Wilcox