RE: [OM][OT] Listing an OM-1 w/ mercury battery on eBay

Subject: RE: [OM][OT] Listing an OM-1 w/ mercury battery on eBay
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:51:16 GMT
Not to advocate skirting regulations or anything like that, but...

It is possible to advertise perfectly legal items on eBay and elsewhere and not attract the PC police. Use statements like "original" or "educated buyers will recognize" and let the bidders/buyers figure things out for themselves. I'm sure eBay will eventually incorporate bots to ferret out all such sneakery, tho'.

I recently sold a scanner radio on eBay, which drew a flood of e-mails asking whether it could be used to listen to cellular phones. I simply told them the truth: it could be modified to do so if they wished; that such modifications *may* be illegal in the US under current law; and that repeating what you've overheard on a scanner is the main factor. It's not listening that gets folks into trouble - It's failing to keep one's mouth shut afterward. This is true of *any* transmissions heard via scanner radios, not just phone calls.

I mention this only as a word to the wise. When it comes to dealing with things that people are afraid of and try to legislate out of existence rather than deal with reality or understanding, I prefer to deal with like-minded folks.