[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1906

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1906
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:54:49 -0500
----------------------------

> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:50:55 -0700
> From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques' 25 Best Cameras

> Hmm, the Spotmatic was (is) easy to use, utterly reliable & durable , had
>good
> (not great) ergonomics, was loud, heavy and kind of clunky and used clunky
> lenses. All in all I think that the OM-1 is closer to the Leica spirit.
>> Utterly reliable & durable, great ergonomics, easy to use, light uses
>light,  > svelte lenses and is very quiet. I would say it compares closer
>to the Leica
> than the Spotmatic. But perhaps I too am biased. :)

> Jim Couch

Clunky?

I loved my Spotmatics and Super-Takumars, but went to Olympus when I needed
quick lens changing (this was as the K mount was being introduced) and
because five of my friends had OM's and we could share lenses.  But I think
those cameras and lenses were the most elegant of any SLR's.  I love the
knurling on the screw-mount lenses, the half click-stops, and the shroud
around the barrel that covered all the distance numbers except on top,
where you needed to see them; refined.  I still have a mint Spotmatic with
50 mm 1.4 on my desk, so I can gaze at its beautiful proportions.  I used
to shoot a lot of H&W control film with my Pentaxes, and those Takumars
gave superb resolution.

I use Leicas too, and I'll have to state that SM Pentaxes had the same
silky feel as M cameras, but the OM's are much more versatile.

Alan Magayne-Roshak