Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1904 OT!

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1904 OT!
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:26:14 -0500
Cc: "Chris Barker" <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dirk, it's a subtle distinction, but jet engines produce thrust, not
horsepower.  Shaft engines (turboshaft, recips) produce horsepower, but you
have to attach them to a propeller to convert that power to thrust, which is
what airplanes (big or little) want.  You can estimate "equivalent
horsepower" for a jet engine, but the concept isn't rigorous, or useful.

Now for something photographically interesting - do model turbojets produce
shock diamonds for us to photograph?  Only if the exhaust is supersonic.

Gary Edwards (Professor Fairchild will be proud of me, I still remember it
from the first Aero class. . .)