[OM] Zuiko 28-48 --- 50 1.4 vs 1.8

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 28-48 --- 50 1.4 vs 1.8
From: "Ángel Lobo" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:25:05 +0200
Hello all.

After some tests with two items of this little zoom 28-48 f 4 I can say:

1.- The zoom 28-48 underexp. 1/3 on 35 mm vs 35 f 2 or 35 f 2..8.

2.- The zoom 28-48 underexp. 1/2 stop on 28mm vs 28 f2, 28 f2.8 or 28 f3.5.

3.- The zoom 28-48 read the same light on 48mm than 50 f1.8 .

Reading the light over the same scene one Zuiko 35 mm read an amount of
light and this zoom 28-48 on 35mm setting read 1/3 more of light, when I
adjust for the correct exposure on the zoom shoot, I´m taking one picture
underexposed 1/3 (more dark).

I have this suspicion long time ago and after test two of this little zoom
side by side I can say that both zooms do the same way , and I guess this
is a problem worse than a zoom engraved f4 and working as a zoom f 4.5. The
big problem is that the zoom is not a real zoom with automatic diaphragm,
giving underexposed pictures.

I thing is very rare nobody on the Oly List (where are some very good
friends of this little zoom) say never somethig concerning this matter.

On the same chapter of problems, testing my 4 lenses 50 mm 1.4 vs my 4
lenses 50 1.8 I can say that "ALL" my four different lenses 1.4 overexposes
1/3 vs "ALL" my four different lenses  1.8. ( And versus some other Zuiko
lenses as the zooms 35-70). Maybe this is my reason for write some times on
the list that I prefer some lenses 50 1.8 than the lenses 1.4. I can see on
the pictures taked with the 1.4 lenses (usually the more moderns MC items)
a plus of light that I interpret as a bad look of the pictures.

One more time, my surprise is that all the four lenses 1.4 ( SC Chrome, SC
Black, MC<1mill. and MC>1mill) give the same reading of light and that
nobody -neither- say something concerning this matter on the List.

Ángel Lobo.
CUENCA  ( Spain ).