[OM] OM-1 + winder adventure

Subject: [OM] OM-1 + winder adventure
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:45:37 -0500
My brother and I made a whirlwind tour from Chicago through the Michigan U.P.
and across Ontario to upstate NY during the Columbus day holiday weekend (give
or take a day or two on either side).  I was shooting OM-2S and OM-4T with
E100VS and Provia F respectively, but I had Kodak RG400 in my OM-1 with winder
for handheld shots.  I used the OM-1 more than I expected to because we were
being chased throughout this trip by an early bout of wintery weather.  I was
simply able to get some shots with the OM-1 I couldn't/wouldn't have tried to
get with tripod/slow film combinations.

On two occasions I goofed up the shutter advance, apparently by shooting to
the end of the roll and having the winder partially advance the film across
the last little bit of film.  I would reload film by advancing manually, but
then the winder seemed to act as though it needed to be reset because it would
advance the film apparently partway through the stroke, leaving me with the
mirror up and of course a dead camera.

I discovered that if I would rewind the film, complete the advance stroke
manually, fire the shutter blank, and then advance the camera a few blank
frames with the winder before reloading, all was OK.

All my film came out OK despite this problem, and I don't see any problem in
the future with taking the precaution of making sure camera and winder are in
sync prior to loading film, but is this known to be normal behavior?  In
particular I'm suspicious that the camera might be marginal.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA