[OM] IS-3 Portrait session fallout and Firesale announcement

Subject: [OM] IS-3 Portrait session fallout and Firesale announcement
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:41:51 -0700 (PDT)
I've been using the IS-3 more and more now for
weddings, events and portraits.  Although there is no
real substitute for the 100/2.8 mounted on my OM-2S, I
must admit that automation, a built in killer zoom and
built-in fill flash make life bunches easier.

I got a roll of film back that I used for a portrait
session (outdoor high-school graduate type of photos).
I shot an entire roll of Provia 160NC on this girl and
out of 36 pictures, 12 were misfocused, had movement,
closed eyes, poorly framed or some other misadventure,
but the remaining 24 were nearly perfect.  In fact, of
the remaining 24, at least 20 were of sufficient
quality (in all areas) to be used for enlargements.  I
couldn't pick a favorite out if I wanted!

I had placed the camera in Program Mode and had the
built-in flash set to Fill.  The session took place
around a small pond that had some trees, but was on a
bright sunny day (about 2:00PM).  We worked our way
around the lake so we had the sun coming from all
angles.  Except for three shots where the flash didn't
fire (I didn't give the camera enough recycle time)
the fill/ambient ratios were perfect!  In fact, all
exposures were absolutely dead on.  The only shot that
came even close to not being "fill flashed" enough was
taken from 10 meters away with the zoom set to 180mm.
This was all with the built-in flash--not the G40.

I've never been one to "park the brains" when it comes
to photography, but in a dynamic, ever changing
environment where you are mixing flash with
ambient/direct sun automation does help.

Image quality was as good as it gets for a zoom lens.
Although I would prefer a wider aperature to soften
the backgrounds more, the IS-3's zoom lens gives you
180mm which even at F5.6 - F8 does soften things a
bit.

My continuing experience with the IS-3 for portraits
and events is definitely forming a preference for
future camera system purchases.  Since there is a
drought of professional photographers in this area I
just might get serious and hang a larger shingle out.
I had planned on shutting down the portrait/wedding
side of my business, but successes (and seeing your
work compared with the best work of the best
photographer in town) does have a tendency to cause
you to rethink things.

If I do decide to hang out the bigger shingle I won't
do so until I've had a chance to upgrade my equipment.
 Although good (and the IS-3 did a fine job), it
doesn't provide the consistant results that pro-level
equipment provides.  Nor does it shoot in medium
format.

I've been pushing my personal photography more in the
"fine-art" direction and have gotten to the point
where 35mm doesn't quite cut it anymore.  I can get a
killer shot once in a while, but the fuzzies, grainies
and distorties (which were fine for stock photography)
aren't welcome.  During my vacation I would have liked
to have had medium format (left the Mamiya at home due
to lack of space), but carrying dual systems isn't
much of an option anymore.

Yes, folks, Once I've gotten the credit cards paid off
(sometime this winter) I will be looking seriously at
a new camera system.  I'll be keeping the IS-3, and
maybe the XA, but it will be firesale on everything
else to fund either a Contax 645AF or possibly the
Mamiya 645AF.  I'm leaning towards the Contax as it is
such a superior camera, but lens selection with Mamiya
is better.  Best of all, both take digital backs.
(future proofing)

I know I've bounced around on this a few times, but
neither the Canon or Nikon lenses excite me and the OM
line doesn't quite cut it (for me) anymore.  What
really helps me lean towards the Contax is that I've
seen some photographs taken with it recently that the
Bokeh, color, and aberations (yes, Virginia, the glass
isn't perfect) are a near perfect match to our fine
Zuikos--only the negs are much bigger.  In fact, one
photo (taken with the standard 80mm lens) was as close
to a perfect match to my 100/2.8 that I would have
argued that it was taken with a Zuiko.  (Night shot,
city skyline with lightning).

For those wondering what all will be coming on the
market so you can save your pennies:

Lots of standard stuff, but there is the 35/shift in
excellent shape, a killer 100/2.8 (SC), OM-2S and an
OM-1MD.  A Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 zoom will also make
it's appearance (very fine lens).  There is lots of
other things, but these are the biggies.

It will be a couple months before they go up on the
market, but just possibly a few items might be
available for Christmas presents.  I'll let everybody
know when I'm ready to start the sell off and
everything will be offered to the list FIRST.

Ken Norton
Image66