[OM] OM-1 1.35V mercury battery replacement circuit

Subject: [OM] OM-1 1.35V mercury battery replacement circuit
From: Wayne Shumaker <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:57:06 -0400
For anyone interested in a battery replacement for a 1.35V mercury
cell, I just tested one of our (Linear Technology) LDO regulators (low
drop out regulator) and it seems to work. The part is the LT1761. (see
www.lineartech.com for the data sheet). For an input I used a 1.5V
source (1.5-1.55V is typical for silver oxide battery) and the
regulated output was 1.35V. The part draws 20uA of quiescent current
and easily handled 300uA load, which is probably more than enough for
an OM-1. The part requires two external adjust resistors to set the
output level and an output bypass cap of 1uF (see page 12 of the
datasheet for the circuit). I used a 1.5Meg and a 193K resistor to set
the output to 1.35V. The part is in a tiny SOT-23 package. The circuit
can be turned off by putting it in series with the off switch or by
using an optional shutdown pin. I have half a dozen parts if anyone
would like one to try for them self. Requires good soldering skill.

Wayne