Re: [OM] Helicoid lubricant

Subject: Re: [OM] Helicoid lubricant
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:10:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

> You might consider NOT using silicone based lubricants as they may bond to
> the glass of the lens if you accidentally get them on the glass. This could
> make then uncleanable.

I wasn't aware that silicon could be dangerous to lens elements.  Silicon
based lubricants are used regularly on O-rings for underwater cameras such
as the Nikonos.  I've been using Nikonos's for years and I've never heard
of damaged elements due to the lubricant accidentaly getting on the lens
(which it inevitably does :-).  It is hard to get off though!
                                -mark