Re: [OM] Slip-in filters for 350mm Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] Slip-in filters for 350mm Zuiko
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:03:29 +0200
To: orignal poster (whoever it was) and all other interested Zuiks.

I seem to have missed this thread, due to one of my major deleting
actions - but I was the one who has mentioned making his own
pol-filter for the 350mm a few months ago.

This is exactly what I did.
First I removed the glass from a regular 46mm circular pol filter. I
did the same with a 46mm UV filter - because of its single filter ring
which I needed.
Then I cut away some material of the female thread of the empty UV
filter ring to make it _much_ thinner than it was originally. I did
this with a Dremel. I left just enough of the edge standing to take
the bare polarizing glass, without cover ring.
Then I put the polarizing 'glass' in place of the UV one, and fixed it
with a bit of epoxy glue.
That's it.

Only problem is, that you always will have to take the filter holder
out of its slot to rotate the filter into its proper position
-optically speaking- within the holder. First I screw the filter into
the holder as far as it will go, and then I unscrew it just as much as
needed to get the right angle.
I just couldn't find another way of making the filter thin enough
without fixing the glass into the ring - maybe this can be done with
other brands of filters than I started out with.

For completeness' sake:
I have put the UV filter in the original pol.filter ring - looks
pretty strange now...

I hope that you will be able to reproduce the process if you might
want to do so...

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.